Anybody who has ever met me can tell you that I definitely do not have a set makeup routine that I use every single day. Not even every other day. I am constantly changing up my makeup look and usually base it off of how I am feeling and what I want to wear that day. Do any of you do this?
Because of this, I have to clean my makeup brushes once a week, if not more, because the colors are constantly changing and all of the build-up ends up merging together into a murky brown color that nobody wants.
Any of you who have the same problem know that brush cleaners are expensive, especially if you are using them as often as I am. Plus have loads of unnecessary chemicals and ingredients and only get more expensive if you want a more natural and pure product.
However, with a couple of ingredients, most of which you most likely have laying around the house, you can make your very own brush cleaner for next to nothing.
WHAT YOU NEED:
CASTILE SOAP is not only one of the most environmentally friendly soaps but also creates a ‘clean’ foam that will not leave behind residue on your brushes.
DISTILLED WHITE VINEGAR has extreme disinfectant properties, nonharmful to the environment, and can remove stains and residue left behind by makeup.
LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL is one of the most powerful essential oils in terms of its cleaning ability. In addition to helping to clean your brushes, it leaves a nice lemon scent behind.
ANY OIL is extremely moisturizing and can keep the bristles of your brushes feeling soft and flexible.
- 3 tablespoons Castille Soap
- 3 tablespoons Distilled White Vinegar
- 3-5 drops lemon essential oil
- 1/2-1 tablespoon any oil (olive, avocado, etc.)
- 3 cups water, warm
- In an airtight container that can hold at least 4 cups of liquid, add in your warm water before adding in the other ingredients. Give a light shake being careful to not create too many bubbles. Seal, store away from sunlight and enjoy~
- *Be careful not to shake to much or you will cause foam to form.