*This post may contain affiliate links, which cost you nothing, but helps to support this site (for more information click here)
Avocados are my number one go-to produce during the summer time. I don’t know what it is about it that makes me love them so much but I use it with almost everything I make. On toast, on salads, in cubes, as a sauce, hot or cold. If it has avocado on it, I’m all for it. But sometimes it is easy for people to forget that avocados are not only a savory thing but can also be added with sweet flavors to make an incredibly refreshing and colorful salad for summer.
A big part of summer time is the bright color combinations and this recipe definitely fulfills that. With melons, cucumbers, avocados and peppers, it’s hard for this salad not to catch everyone’s eye. On top of being beautiful to look at, this salad is very easy to tweak to match the tastes of each person. Less lemon juice for a more sweet taste, more coconut extract a tropical kick, by just changing up the dressing a little bit, you can make a whole new tasting salad. The only drawback of this recipe is that it can be hard to replicate sometimes when the produce are out of season because they do not taste as fresh or as ripe as when made in summer, so you definitely need to hope on it and get making this delicious dish.
What do all of you think of mixing savory, sweet, and sour? For me, it’s a very delicate balance that needs to be precise or it just tastes like someone threw together everything leftover in the fridge and called it a meal. But when done right, it is just heaven in your mouth! I think this combination makes everything better and screams summer time, which is what every meal should do at this time of year. Don’t you think?
- 1/4 Large Seedless Watermelon or 1/2 Small Seedless Watermelon
- 1/2 Honeydew Melon
- 1 Large Cucumber
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Yellow Pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- A dash of coconut extract
- Cut the watermelon, honeydew, cucumber, avocado, and yellow pepper into small cubes approximately the same size.
- Once finished, combine all cut pieces into a large bowl and stir until evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, salt, ground pepper, and coconut extract.
- Pour the dressing mixture over cut up pieces and gently mix until evenly coated.
- Place in fridge and allow to chill for 15 minutes before enjoying.