*This post may contain affiliate links, which cost you nothing, but helps to support this site (for more information click here)
It is official! I am back at college and my long, hectic days begin tomorrow. It is a bittersweet moment but I am still fairly excited to be back on campus and getting into the rhythm of life again. But that rhythm most of the time is more of a five year old going crazy on the drums instead a well organized orchestra, making getting any sort of actual meal a little difficult to do, especially if you need to be able to eat it as you are sprinting across campus towards your next class. So after messing around a bit, I came up with these vegan scotcheroo protein bars that are so delicious you would never guess they weren’t a dessert.
I never originally intended for these to come out tasting so similar to an actual Scotcheroo, but after having a few (or the entire pan) I realized that they almost tasted exactly them so I readjusted the recipe with this in mind and ta-dah! They did look a little plain so I ended up adding the toppings afterwards which only added to the taste but don’t worry. The oats and hemp seeds do not flake off as you move these bars around so you won’t have loads of little seeds trailing behind you as you walk around.
The best part about making different bars yourself is that none of the ingredients are really special or weird things to have in a dorm room. Peanut butter, dates, oats! Pretty much the staples of any college diet. The only things that may be a little ‘out there’ is the agave syrup and the oat flour. In all honesty, I do have agave syrup in my dorm room because it is a really easy sweetener to use in loads of different things like smoothies or even on top of my oatmeal. The oat flour, however, was something I don’t have and instead simply made it so I wouldn’t have loads of oat flour laying around the dorm room. All you need to do is take the amount flour you need from your oats, throw them in a food processor, and there you have your very own oat flour!
These bars also last forever as long as you do it right, although they may not make it that long. Simply wrap each bar up in saran wrap for an easy grab and put in the fridge, the freezer, or both. Sometimes it is nice to have an extra cold treat. The only thing that makes these bars lose some of their deliciousness is because they are out in the heat for too long and become soft. They are still amazing but I have always preferred my desserts to be a bit colder. So if you are heading out with one of these bars and you don’t know when you will be able to get to it, simply grab one from the freezer, that way they remain colder for much much longer.
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 6 dates
- 1 cup oat four
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup chocolate protein powder
- 1 1/2 tablesooons chia seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hulled hemp seeds.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup agave
- 3/4 cup flax milk
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- Optional: 1 tablespoon oats
- Optional: 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Combine all crust ingredients into a food processor and allow to mix until it forms a thick dough. Remove dough from processor and pat into the bottom of a 9x9 pan until the bottom is covered in a even layer of the dough.
- Take a large bowl and mix together dry ingredients until well combined.
- Add peanut butter and agave into the food processor and let mix for a few seconds before adding in the bowl of dry ingredients and pulsing until the ingredients begin to combine. Then begin slowly adding in the flax milk to allow the ‘dough’ to become softer until all of the milk has been added in. You may add in more if needed but add only 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Once the top layer has been finished, pour it on top of your ‘crust’ and repeat the same process by pressing down the layer until it is even.
- In a small microwavable bowl, combine chocolate chips and peanut butter and heat up in the microwave for 45 seconds, making sure to stir every 15 seconds until the combination is liquidy and then drizzle over the top of the bars. At this point, if you want, sprinkle oats and hemp seeds over the top of the bars as well.
- Allow bars to sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour before enjoying.